Sunday, July 6, 2008

WorldView Academy 2008 Summary

I just came back from a week at WorldView Academy. It was a wonderful learning experience. Full of joyful times. ;-)

We spent 25 hours listening to lectures on worldviews, leadership and apologetics. We didn't go to bed until 11:30 or 12:30 and had to get up between 7 and 7:30 every day. First thing after showers (which had to be super quick) we went out for our quiet half hour devotion time. Meal times were fun, because a bunch of the guys had this competition of which of them could take the most trays from the tables. The guys also held all the doors open for us (*applauds the guys*). We had some free time on Monday and Tuesday afternoon during which I got to call home, play mafia and sing with some people and a guy who brought his guitar.On Thursday we had the color team relay that my team came dead last in. Green team won the sought after Spamley Cup complete with an elaborate presentation ceremony on Thursday night, in which Indiana Jones defeated Darth Vador, Sauron, and the Persians. There was also a WVA staff fashion show on Tuesday.

My roommate and all the girls in my suite/small group were wonderful. I had an awesome time laughing and engaging in deep conversations with them.

The highlight of the week, the reason I wanted to go, was the witnessing time on Wednesday. We went into the down town in groups of three and just started conversations with people about what they thought happened when they die. We had some great discussion. I was in a group with my roommate and another friend from my area. We just talked about life after death with these people, eventually telling them about Christ, telling them that He's the only way to be forgiven so we can go to heaven. Out of the whole group of about a hundred kids, I think five people trusted Christ that day. The three of us were all first-timers, but it still went really well.

Evangelizing there was probably one of the scariest, if not the scariest, thing I have ever done. It was wonderful though. At the time, I completely got lost in it and forgot myself like I never have. I was just focused on the other person and God and everything else was pushed from m mind. Now, I feel so much more equipped to share the gospel with my unsaved family members, along with other people I meet, know and interact with. It is the best skill I have ever been taught and I plan to use it always.

I met lots of nice people and spent time with old friends too. They were all so awesome!

I missed my family ever so much though. I was so homesick the first three days that I cried for a while in bed before I could fall asleep. God restored my spirits though, thankfully. My wonderful family sent me lots of stuff. I got two emails, three pictures, two letters and three cards. I love my family!

I'm sure I'm leaving lots out, but to summarize what I thought about the whole thing... I signed up for next year.

7 comments:

lovesarevolution said...

yay!!!!! AND.. it got you to post on this blog :P

Micahlangelo said...

I agree with Evan!

Anonymous said...

that sounds great! I love hearing about what you are doing. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am a two time Worldview Academy alumni :) I totally get what you mean by joyful times...
I am applying to be an intern staffer next summer, so that should be great. Oh, and btw, the green team has won three years in a row...I am determined that they won't win next year :) jk!

Unknown said...

I just got home from WVA 09. Everything you said is soo true! :)

Does anyone know how to apply to become an intern staffer? I'm very interested in that but it doesn't mention it on the website.

Katrina said...

Carissa,

I don't know how you can staff. :-/ Just send a general email to them, I guess. By the way, how did you find my blog?

Unknown said...

Okay Katrina, I think that's what I'll do.
And I was actually googling Worldview Academy or Worldview Academy internship, I think. It was one of the first few search results. :P